The AA County Ordinance Shown Below States Your Requirement to Remove Snow from the Sidewalk in Front of Your House
The Penalties are High!
§ 9-1-709. Snow and ice on walkways. (a) Prohibition. The owner, user, or occupant of property situated on a street along which there is a paved sidewalk shall remove the snow and ice from the sidewalk fronting the property within six hours after the fall of snow except that, if it snows between 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., the owner, user, or occupant shall remove the snow and ice before 11:00 a.m. (b) Removal by County; costs. Whenever a person fails to comply with subsection (a), the Department of Public Works may cause the snow or ice to be removed and shall certify the cost of removal to the Controller. The costs of removal shall be paid to the County by the person who failed to remove snow or ice and the costs may be recovered by the County in an action at law. (c) Sanction for violation. A person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, on conviction, is subject to a fine not exceeding $10. (1985 Code, Art. 11, § 5-108)
CHRISTMAS TREE DISPOSAL
Leaf season is still with us and we wanted to remind residents of the requirements for curbside yard waste collection. On January 3, 2017, Anne Arundel County implemented new curbside yard waste collection rules – PLASTIC BAGS CAN NO LONGER BE USED FOR YARD WASTE. Below are the new rules which were implemented for curbside yard waste collection:
Trouble Free Yard Waste Collection Tips
- For leaves, grass, brush and branches, use biodegradable paper yard waste bags or a reusable container of your choice. Paper yard waste bags are available for purchase in many big-box, home improvement, and hardware stores as well as through online retailers.
- Do not use plastic bags for yard waste beginning January 3, 2017. Reusable containers must be marked with a large “X” visible to the collectors. This will ensure that they know it is yard waste and not trash.
- Brush and branches must be placed in a container or bundled. Bundles must be tied securely with twine.
- Do not use cardboard boxes as this causes a loading problem for the collectors. Cardboard boxes are recyclable and should be put out with paper, plastic, metal and glass.
- Bags, containers or bundles may not weigh more than 40 pounds each. Tree limbs and branches must be less than 4 feet in length, with a maximum branch diameter of 4 inches.
- Bags must be closed securely. Do not use wire or metal ties.
- Christmas trees must be free from all lights, ornamentation and tree bags. Only natural trees will be collected. Tall trees should be cut in half in order to fit into the collection truck.
- Do not mix trash with yard waste.
- To avoid odors, do not bag your yard waste more than a few days in advance of your collection.
- There is no limit to the amount of yard waste you can put out for collection.
- Yard waste is collected at the curb all year round
Leaves and grasses can block storm drains – please be sure to properly dispose of your yard waste!